Monday, July 16, 2007

First Post

Whoa.

I have a blog.

It's true, anyone can get one! I'm not sure why I thought you had to have some technical degree in order to keep one. I bet it helps. But. Well. Here we are.

I guess I'd like to take this initial post to write a little mission statement and take some responsibility for why I am choosing to spill myself all over the internet.

Mission Statement: For why?

First, Grandma Sargent always told me to write stuff down. Even when we were little (after Grandpa would grab my elbow and warn me I had to "get some meat on those bones"), she'd urge me to never forget to write down all our ideas and adventures; that way, when we get older we can look back at all the fun we had. I kept some childhood/adolescent diaries that still get pulled out from under the bed or dusted off from the top shelf of the bookshelf for kicks every once and a while. I have an "adult diary" (not unlike adult diabetes: it takes time to develop), but it's mostly filled with the thoughts I'm trying to keep out of my head so I can sleep, instead of hilarious stories and brilliant ideas. Grandma is still alive, but developed Dementia about a decade ago. I'm not sure if, somewhere deep down, she knew her words would be a premonition, or if it's just really, really ironic advice. Regardless, this one's for you, Grandma.

Next, Dad always asks me if I'm "writing this stuff down". Which, for the most part, I am not; most of the stories I regale he and Mom with are told orally, thus becoming cataloged in the great oral history tradition. Yet, when I am encouraged to retell the one about this or that, I can't quite get all the details correct...because I didn't write it down. So, this one's for you, Dad.

Finally, every once and a while, I get myself into an absurd situation or my eye will frame something in an interesting way that I'd love to be able to share that with a homies, who isn't by my side at that particular moment. I have been awful about sending out emails retelling the stories or forwarding the picture, and I'd like to be better about it. So, this one's for you, homie.

Ok. I think that's about it.

Enjoy!

More soon.

No comments: