Sunday, November 8, 2009

New York City Opera and Me: Battle Tested

3 weeks ago I started a job at the New York City Opera.

I was hired to help them execute last Thursday's Theater Debut Celebration, a black-tie Gala event that raised $2.5 million dollars to celebrate the re-opening of its theater and re-starting of its season for the first time in 18 months.

1) Listen to NPR's report about the much-anticipated Opening Night.

2) View a video from NY1's society reporter, George Whipple.

3) Read the New York Times' review of the show and check out picture slideshow.


One of the many things I've learned in my 6 years as a professional Event Planner (including: don't panic, carry a pen, and eat something...anything, really) is that I have Situational Awareness. Which makes sense since heading into an event feels on par to heading into battle.

Wikipedia describes Situational Awareness as:
"the perception of environmental elements within a volume of time and space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their status in the near future. It is also a field of study concerned with perception of the environment critical to decision-makers in complex, dynamic areas from aviation, air traffic control, power plant operations, military command and control — to more ordinary but nevertheless complex tasks such as driving an automobile or motorcycle."

aka "the ace factor"

aka "the 'You can be my wingman anytime,' factor"

Someone even dorkier than me made a chart which describes, quite accurately I suppose, the SA process. I love charts!



Situational Awareness allows one to see their environment in its entirety and understand exactly how their actions will affect it. Although, this aspect of one's personality can only be accessed while they are immersed in a deeply stressful environment.

Like when I shoot bad guys in war or operate the air traffic control tower...or hold a guest list.

No comments: