Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Moon Garden, Moon Garden

I never would've thought that my strong urge to replant my pot of herbs yesterday was in perfect synch with ancient tradition of planting during a specific moon phase. However, upon further research (which started as the simple internet search "how to replant parsley without killing it"), I realized that my intuition to re-pot must've been motivated by gardeners of long-ago!

From MoonGrow.Com:
Gardening by using the signs in the heavens is an ancient tradition passed down the dim corridors of time from one generation of gardeners to another. It is not a mystical process but a means of timing the planting, growing, maintenance and harvesting of growing things to produce superior harvests. I and many other home gardeners have found moon phase and zodiac sign growing to be an effective means of increasing crop yields as well as a way to join with nature in a cooperative effort to grow plants in a more natural way.

LAST NIGHT'S CONDITIONS:
1) Waxing Moon
2) Zodiac Sign: Taurus
3) Taurus: Earth sign
4) Earth Signs: Sign of Fertility!

BEFORE:



















AFTER:














Tapping in my nocturnal green thumb made me wonder if planting-by-moon-cycle is covered in my favorite gardening book, 10,000 Garden Questions Answered by 15 Experts. While I fear this practice is too new-agey for this 1944 publication, I did find some handy illustrations for the at-home gardener (like don't forget your pipe when planting strawberries and learning the TRUTH about herb gardens.


No comments: