Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Tribute to the NYC Marathon

I am one of 330 million people watching from the comfort of my living room the 2 million New Yorkers lining the streets and cheering the over 42,000 racers in the 40th annual New York City Marathon. In honor of this exciting day, I did as many push-ups as I could (1) and am going to the gym today. Sure, maybe one day I'll be out there myself, cheering on those runners.

In light of today's fesitivies, I can't help but reflect on where I was exactly a year ago and how far I've come (one push-up ain't lookin' so bad right now): I had just spent 5 hours in NYU Medical Center's ER having been treated for an unexpected asthma attack on Halloween. So, in the last year, I have worked hard to make sure I never return to that ER: I joined the gym, I actually go, I finally listened to my primary care doctor and switched inhalers (from my beloved MaxAir to the reliable Advair).

Big strides, one baby step at a time.

No comments: